Lutheran Military Support Group
President and Chief Executive Officer Position Description
Position Title: President and Chief Executive Officer
Report To: Board of Directors
FLSA Status: Salaried Part-time Position
The President and CEO is the key management leader of LMSG. The President and CEO is responsible for overseeing the administration, personnel, and programs of the organization in alignment with the mission of LMSG, and in accordance with the direction set by the LMSG Board of Directors (BOD). Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, and community outreach. The position reports directly to the BOD of LMSG.
Essential Duties include the following:
- Work with the LMSG BOD to ensure the mission of LMSG is well-defined, well-understood, and well-communicated.
- Execute all activities in accordance with the LMSG Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws.
- Execute the direction of the LMSG BOD and communicate well with the BOD and BOD committees (e.g., budget, reports, agenda, etc.)
- Supervise, collaborate with, and keep operational organization staff aligned with and loyal to the mission of LMSG.
- Strategic planning and implementation for LMSG.
- Planning and operation of the annual budget as directed by the LMSG BOD.
- Serve as LMSG’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, including, but not limited to, WELS, ELS, the media, and the general public.
- Establish and maintain relationships with various organizations (specifically, WELS and ELS) and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance LMSG’s Mission.
- Engage in fundraising and developing other revenues.
- Oversee marketing and other communication efforts.
- Establish employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of the nonprofit.
- Review and approve contracts for services.
- Maintain organizational compliance with all government and partner agencies.
- Mitigate all risk to LMSG.
- Other duties as assigned by the LMSG BOD.
General Responsibilities to LMSG:
1 . Board Governance: Works with the Board of Directors (BOD) in order to fulfill the organization mission.
- Responsible for leading LMSG in a manner that aligns with the organization’s mission, Articles of Incorporation, and Bylaws.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the BOD and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the BOD to function properly and to make informed decisions.
2. Financial Performance and Viability: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for fundraising, mission advancement, and developing other revenues necessary to support LMSG’s mission.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of LMSG, to include submission to the BOD of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
3. Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with LMSG BOD and staff to ensure that the mission fulfillment through programs, strategic planning, and community outreach.
- Responsible for implementation of LMSG programs that carry out the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that LMSG can successfully fulfill its mission into the future.
- Responsible for the enhancement of LMSG’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
4. Organization Operations: Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure successful operations of the organization.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff.
- Responsible for effective administration of LMSG operations.
- Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
Qualifications of the Successful Candidate:
This individual must be a member in good standing of a WELS or ELS congregation and possess a true passion for serving the needs of military service members, veterans, and their families. This individual must also possess demonstrated experience serving in their church or other community service, organizational development and leadership, and building and sustaining collaborative partner relationships.
Required Education, Experience and Necessary Characteristics
- God-pleasing spiritual foundation for all activity of the organization. All glory to God!
- Transparent and high integrity leadership.Track record of leadership in congregation or other non-profit organization
- Demonstrated management and interpersonal skills; analytical and strategic planning abilities; and experience in deploying human and financial resources towards key mission goals
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development, and task facilitation.
- Strong financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making, and reporting.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and manage multiple priorities and projects
- Able to think strategically and innovatively, and capable of creatively implementing programs to achieve measurable goals.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong public speaking ability.
- Strong work ethic with a high degree of energy.
- Previous military service with an honorable discharge or current military service and understands the military culture.
- Possess a true passion for serving the needs of military service members, veterans, and their families.
- Belongs to either an ELS or WELS congregation.
Physical and Unique Demands
Ability to travel by road, air or other means as may be encountered in reaching out to the military service members, veterans, their families, and donors throughout the world. Able to happily spend time and work in conditions that may occasionally be deemed austere.
Commensurate with experience and qualifications and competitive with other similar non-profit organizations.
Note: Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions of this job.
For more information please contact:
Download LMSG CEO -Job description PDF