This list of “grants” is the most comprehensive list of donations we have. The LMSG was founded partially because the WELS/ELS budgets are not able to fully support the Synods’ programs dedicated to our military members.
- $15,400 Awarded to support the work of the National Chaplain’s office. (Thank you letter from Pastor Ziemer)
- 15,000– Awarded to Ministerial Services Committee (MSC) for WELS/ELS Military Contact Pastors (MCP) Conference in 2019.
- $3,000- awarded to the Member Assistance Program (MAP). Assistance will be available for the mental health needs for both active duty personnel and veterans to be used in 2019.
- $15,000 Awarded to Time of Grace exclusively for the support of Armed Forces Network (AFN) television programing for one calendar quarter in 2019. Two messages of thanks for this ministry.
- $1,500- Awarded to the office of the WELS National Civilian Chaplain (Pastor Ziemer). This grant is given to cover a Chaplain’s expenses incurred on a (TBA) trip to Okinawa to provide Worship Services, Bible study and fellowship for active duty military personnel stationed at or near Okinawa.
- $4000 – LMSG presented stipends to six WELS and two ELS military veterans who are at the Mequon and Mankato seminaries studying for the pastoral ministry. They successfully completed the first semester of the 2017-18 school year. (Thank you letters from 2 Seminarians-Mount & Emmons)
- $11,000 –A grant was awarded to Time of Grace AFN programming for one calendar quarter in 2018.
- $8,000– To the Time of Grace Armed Forces Network for outreach in Japan and to social media to encourage deployed service members to connect to Time of Grace for theIr “Military Minute Devotions.”
- $15,000– To the Military Service Committee for WELS/ELS pastors to participate in the Military Contact Pastor Conference in January 2018.
- $5,000– To fund 10 Chaplain Certification Scholarships to Military Contact Pastors.
- $5,000– To the WELS National Civilian Chaplain’s Office for travel and other expenses.
- $1,500– To the “Member Assistance Program” counseling for military personnel.
- $1,000– To the WELS National Civilian Chaplain’s Office for visits to Military Contact Pastors.
- $1,600– To the WELS National Civilian Chaplain’s Office for vacation relief for one WELS chaplain.
- $5,000– To the WELS mission at Grace Lutheran Church in Minot, North Dakota to strengthen its ministry to the military families stationed in and around Minot Air Force Base. (A thank-you letter to LMSG from Grace Lutheran)
- $1,000– To LMSG website and Facebook page to improve and expand capabilities in order to better communicate with the organization’s audience.
- $11,000-To Time of Grace for one quarter of Military Minutes on the Armed Forces Network.
- $1,000- To the Schroeder Family. Army Pilot Steve Schroeder badly injured in Blackhawk Crash at Ft. Campbell. Steve Schroeder is a former WELS Pastor.
- $1,500–Blue Star Mothers
- $1,250-A Memorial was given to the family of Pastor Karl Hermanson. Pastor Hermanson was instrumental in the work that had been done for the Dry Hooch Events and was also an advocate for the work of LMSG.
- $500-WELS Chaplain.
- $1,500-National Chaplain’s office in order to pay for Pastor Gumm’s expense to fly from Hawaii to Okinawa in order to hold Christmas services for our families stations there. More about their trip
- $1,000-Was gifted to new WELS Congregation, Redemption Lutheran in Watertown, New York and Pastor Aaron Goetzinger. This new congregation is very close to Camp Drum, home of the 10th Mountain Division, U.S. Army. Most of the congregation is associated with the military.
- $5,000-Was gifted to WELS Military Service Committee to help sponsor the Military Contact Pastors working conference in San Antonio, TX in fall of 2016.
- $1,000-Was gifted to Dry Hooch Veterans Support Group in Madison, WI. ELS provides a pastor for weekly spiritual counseling. Pastor’s from both ELS, WELS and LMSG Board Members help with Dry Hooch Events. More about Dry Hooch Grant
- $5,000-Was gifted to WELS Military Service Committee to support the vacancy of European Chaplaincy, while a new call is extended.
- $500-Was gifted to “God and Grub”, part of WELS Institutional Ministries. They minister to homeless Veterans, offer life skill classes and one-on-one counseling in the Milwaukee Metro area.
- $2,500-Was gifted to National Chaplain’s office for travel expense and other costs associated with the Chaplin’s Office.
- $5,000-Was gifted to the LMSG Veterans Support Group to fund a spiritual retreat for a group of WELS and ELS combat Veterans, Fall 2016.
- $3,500– Was gifted to fund additional worship services in Guam or Okinawa, through the WELS National Chaplain’s Office.
- $1,500– Was gifted to ELS Memorial in Honor of fallen POW Don Heiliger. More about Don Heiliger
- $2,000– Was gifted to the Blue Star Mother’s postage expense for fall care packages to deployed troops.
- $5,000– Was gifted to WELS Home Mission Fund for Fayetteville Congregation (outside Fort Bragg) for building expansion.
- $600– Was gifted to Grace Lutheran Church Navy Wives for care packages to USS Eisenhower.
- $3,600– Was gifted to Time of Grace Armed Forces Network in order to pay for Military Minutes Programming.
- $5,000– Was gifted to the National Chaplain’s Office for travel Military Contact Pastor Support and Active Duty Service Support.
- $13,500– Was gifted to WELS Military Services Committee for Chaplain Stuppy’s assignment to Europe (move, travel expenses, etc.).
- $250– Was gifted to ELS Veteran Outreach.
There is some financial support to the administrative efforts of the LMSG, especially the upkeep of our website and Facebook page. The Board members of LMSG are volunteers and receive no pay for their dedicated work.